Sunday, September 14, 2008

Chuseok Anybody?


Chuseok is the Korean Thanksgiving. Pretty much everything closes down for 3 days. It is common to see the children wearing Hanboks (Traditional Dress).
The Korean people visit their families for 3 days. This usually involves visiting their ancestral sites and give their respect for their dead. The 2nd day of Chuseok coinsides with the harvest moon. This is a day of much celebration and much eating. Since everyone is traveling, the roads and interstates are even worse than normal. Chuseok is comparable to Dia De Los Muertos for Latin countries. I could smell (I mean, tell) that it was coming. Since you don't want to have to cook and prepare meals during Chuseok, it is all prepared the week before. I know some of you have had Kimche before so you know what I'm talking about. Those of you who haven't had it, you're lucky! Kinche is fermented vegetables. Most often you will see cabbage, but I have also seen cucumbers, radishes, and onions. I'm sure there are even more than that.

5 comments:

Tara said...

NASTY! Who would WANT to eat that? So sorry Joanna.

A little early, but Happy Birthday Joanna Banana. I just wanna sing you a song that I know you will love. Ahem...

Joaaaaanaaaa, I loooooove you. You're the one, the one for me-eee. Da da da da, da da da da da.

Joanna said...

Gee Thanks!

April said...

We all know how much you loved that song growing up. I remember the tears you cried everytime someone sang that to you...You loved it so much. So what is it...the big "30" this year? Wow! I remember when you were born! I'm really old. Haven't sent your gift off yet...I made homemade canned peaches and peach jam...but don't think it will make it very well to you.

Joanna said...

Just wrap it and pack it really good. Then label it FRAGILE. It should make it just fine. Thanks for the FOND memories!

April said...

Is there anything that you crave from the US that you would like me to send you, while I send my peaches? Anything you can't get over there that you would really, really like? Besides Ed's Deli, I can't send that to you. Anything else just let me know...I'm going to the PO tomorrow. Your birthday gift will be late...so sorry. I will call you though, even if it is 10:00pm my time (That way I know it will be your birthday there). Hey, did you think about that? You could celebrate your birthday on 2 days...the 20th in Korea and the 20th in the US. How about that! Milk it Joanna, come on now!